The Herndon Fortnightly Club celebrated its 125th Anniversary in September, 2014.
It is one of the oldest woman’s clubs in Virginia.
Eleven ladies formed the club in l889 to enhance their knowledge in literature, art, science, and the issues of the day. For this they collected books and by 1900 had enough books to start a lending library for the Town from a rented room.
In 1927 they moved into their newly built brick building on Spring Street, and operated the Herndon Fortnightly Library until it was taken over by the County of Fairfax.
Since that time the Club’s efforts are put into generously supporting the community and a number of worthy charities.
A great emphasis has been placed on offering scholarships to Herndon area students and adults to further their education.
To date the Club has awarded over $192,000 in scholarships in addition to support for countless other organizations in community endeavors.
OFFICERS: 2018 – 2019
- President – Mary Burger
- 1st Vice President – Judy Keller
- 2nd Vice President – Jennifer Boysko
- Corresponding Secretary – Virginia Clarity
- Recording Secretary – Vicki Herman
- Treasurer – Margaret Cyrus
- Director – Beverly Harris (3 year term beginning Jan 2017)